Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Flying

When I was a child I really, really wanted to fly. One time when I had a stomachache, my mom told me to say over and over, "I don't have a stomachache, I don't have a stomachache." Well, it worked. So I thought that miraculous phrase could work on being able to fly. For hours and probably for several days I walked around quietly saying, "I can fly. I can fly. I can fly." After repeating it many times, I would jump up to see if it was working. It never did, but maybe I just didn't say it enough or jump high enough.

I had many dreams about flying. I dreamed I was a fairy (you know what I mean!) many nights. I dreamed I had pretty wings and that I could just decide to fly and I was able to do it. I usually flew at night in my dreams. Sometimes if people were around, they would hang onto my feet and try to keep me on the ground. In spite of that, I was able to fly freely most of the time. Maybe this is how the flying phrase ("I can fly") really worked.

My first boyfriend was Superman, who could fly. I dreamed he would rescue me and we would fly together. Also in these dreams were the 5 or 6 boys from next door. They were part of Superman's gang. They rescued me too.

I really don't want to fly anymore. I'm too afraid. I think about hang gliding, but I would only want to fly about 15 or 20 feet above the ground. It may not be practical, but who knows? Maybe some time, especially if I get skinny.

Some shallow thoughts.

PS--Do NOT psychoanalyse me for any reason concerning the above thoughts!!
QOTW

5 comments:

Robin said...

I've always wished I could fly too, maybe it has something to do with my name :)

Julie said...

I ALWAYS WANTED TO FLY ALSO. I EVEN TRIED JUMPING OFF OF THINGS, BUT THE CLOSEST I'VE EVER COME IS SWINGING REALLY HIGH-ALMOST EVEN WITH THE TOP BAR- AND JUMPING! THATS FLYING! BUT I'M NOT ALLOWED TO DO ANY OF THAT KIND OF STUFF ANYMORE. P. DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO DO THINGS THAT MIGHT BREAK ME, AND HAVE HIM MAKE A TRIP TO THE HOSP.

Jen said...

I've never wanted to fly. I think it has something to do with falling out of a tree at a young age.

Momstheword said...

I don't fly much in my dreams but I am able to do those biiiggg slowwww high jumps that we could maybe do on the moon.

Kay Day said...

At least you didn't make pharmaceutical attempts at flying. Or did you....?

Anyway, the dreams where I take off floating in the air are horrifying. I have no control, though. Control is paramount in that kind of situation.