Thursday, April 2, 2009

Yesterday I was assigned to answer the phone at work (along with many other things). Mid morning I received a call from someone who sounded like a young girl--maybe 14 or 15. She wanted to know what the results were on her DUI breath test.

So I asked my usual questions. "What is your name?"

She said, "Angela Jones (made up name).

I said, "What is your birth date?"

She said, "I don't remember."

I said, "You don't remember?"

I proceeded to tell her that the results of a breath test were public information and that she could have that information even if she wasn't Angela herself. I then turned into mom/teacher/preacher, and I said, "I can give you the information, but I need you to tell me the truth." I was pretty sure she wasn't Angela.

She said, "Okay. I'm just getting the information for Angela."

I said, "Well, the breath results were .107."

I think she thanked me, and as I was hanging up, another young woman from the department came over and whispered to me, "It's Joann." Joann as in another worker in our department. She played an April Fool's joke on me, and it worked. I laughed and told other people in the department as she came walking down the aisle back into our department.

Earlier in the day I had played a couple of jokes on her since it was not only April Fool's but also it was her birthday. I had taped across the bottom of her mouse so it wouldn't work and I taped her phone so she couldn't hear or speak when she picked up the handset.

Usually I'm a little bit afraid of April Fool's Day, but a good time was had by all.

2 comments:

Momstheword said...

Sure glad you didn't get in trouble for giving out information. hee hee! April Fool's Day scares me a little also.

Paula said...

One aspect of my job is to know the laws about release of information to the public and to law enforcement. I'm always very careful about what info I give out. That particular part of the job is the one records techs can legally be liable for, so we have notes, reference books, other techs that we confer with, but this request was easy as far the law is concerned. It was all good.(;>