Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Have a Dream

Before my husband and I had been married five years, I had a dream that we would celebrate our 5th anniversary by going to Hawaii. I had the same dream for the 10th, the 15th, the 20th, the 25th and maybe for a couple of others.

Then my dream changed. I decided I would rather go on an Alaskan cruise for one of our main anniversaries. I hoped to do that for a number of years. Then my dream changed.

Next summer we will have been married 40 years. What I'm hoping for now is to spend several days and nights in Estes Park in the beautiful Colorado mountains. That's a dream that matches my energies and motivations. I've seen Hawaii and Alaska and the whales on TV. I know it's not the same as going for real, but it's certainly much easier and definitely less expensive.

When I was younger I wanted to learn to play the violin and to go back to school to get an MA. Later I changed my wants to learning to play the guitar instead of the violin, and I'm finished with schooling, although I do think about taking a class online.

I still have the desire to write a book. But I do wonder if I wait a few years to actually write one, how all the new technology will affect that enterprise. Besides wanting to say something, I also want to make money. In the future will this dream be worth anything?

It's good to have dreams. It's good to be realistic. I do dream about living to be 95 like my grandma did, although that may take too much work and it may take too long!

No comments: